Thursday, February 23, 2006

Arthritis Supplements

Seems like a study has found that those suffering from arthritis in the knees who take the supplements glucosamine and chondrotin are not doing themselves much good- while the supplements are not harmful, they offer as much benefit as a placebo unless the pain is acute. In those cases the supplements do seem to work. A bit of a mixed signal?

I don't have any problems with my knees (fingers crossed it stays that way) but I do have arthritis in my back- and I do take the aforementioned supplements. In addition to them I also take Devils Claw, Turmeric, Zinc and Vitamins A, C, E and Selenium. Since I began I have noticed a definite improvement in my back pain- I still get pretty sore but I've been able to reduce the amount of pain killers and muscle relaxants I need to take each day. I have tried one or two of these supplements before but they didn't seem to help- in combination though, I doing better. I'm fairly sure that the Turmeric is a major reason for this- could be on its own it would do jst about the same job. As it's working though, i'm not about to start messing with the system. If you have any kind of joint problems I'd heartily recommend at least taking Turmeric supplements.

2 comments:

FrauBudgie said...

The thing about herbals and supplements is that it takes awhile for them to work; has to build up in your body, I guess, and they might not work. So, it takes some experimentation.

I've had some success with certain things -- peppermint, for example, for kid nausea -- and my cousin, who also had horrific back problems, said that Noni juice actually cured her; it was recommended to her by a chiropractor.

Interesting about the tumeric; actually, I might check it out.

syndry david said...

Stay focused on yourself as well as the treatment goals: usually for fast relief people suffering from arthritis ask their friends and relatives, what they take if they too suffer from this problem.
Arthritis supplement