Monday, March 17, 2008

Dave Stevens RIP

I've just discovered that comic book artist Dave Stevens, the man behind The Rocketeer, passed away on March 10th after a battle with leukaemia. He was only 52 years old. His work has a classic look to it, not only in the retro stylings of The Rocketeer, but in recalling the likes of the golden age greats like Frank Frazetta. His good girl artwork was also an inspiration to Adam Hughes. At the time of his death he was working on a retrospective book of his own work. I hope it's released.

I've featured his work here before- a wonderful portrait of Betty Page- and it seems fitting to pay tribute to him by showcasing a little more of his work. To get things going here's The Rocketeer himself.

1 comment:

NotClauswitz said...

Whoa! I'm sorry to hear that, I have several well-thumbed old Rocketeer books and comics...