Monday, August 01, 2005

Good news/bad news

I took this as good news- the British Tranport police will be profiling suspects. As you'd expect them to do. I'm sure that at the height of the IRA's campaign the police weren't wasting their time searching 60 year old women from Devon, they were instead focusing on the threat- men and women from Northern Ireland and Eire. That might explain why I was stopped by police every single time I flew from here to the mainland a few years back so that they could double-check my ID. Every time.

Of course, I took a couple of flights last week and I was appalled by the lack of security- usually there's a police desk set up so that they can check out all the passengers as they exit their flights. This time round all those desks were empty. My wife was even pulled over for a quick pat down after something on her person triggered a metal detector- she was wearing tall boots at the time and though she had to show her boot-soles, the guard didn't check the legs of the boots. And nor did she have to go through the detector again.

However, there's more bad news- according to this article in The Sun (sadly, the full story is in the paper edition) British police have been told to remove their shoes when raiding the homes of terror suspects to "show respect". Gotta be good little dhimmis while they try and fight dangerous terrorists.

No comments: