Monday, August 15, 2005

Sheehan Again

Looks like it's time for another Sheehan post. I replied to a comment on my previous post but I felt like writing some more on the matter. The first thing I want to say is that I would be furious if I thought my mother were exploiting my death in this way (and when I was in the Marines it looked like Saddam was going to kick off for a short time- needless to say, all of my comrades were itching to get stuck in). The troops predominantly support the war effort and see that they have to stay the course in Iraq. Yes, it would be wonderul to bring the troops home but the problem with doing it right now is that it will leave a vacuum of power behind, one that will quickly be filled by the Islamofascist thugs. No one in their right mind wants that- the solution therefore, is for the mission in Iraq to continue- to fight the terrorists and train the Iraqi forces until they are able to take over. If anyone can think of another solution I'd like to hear it.

First of all, let's here what an Iraqi has to say about the matter-

Ma'am, we asked for your nation's help and we asked you to stand with us in our war and your nation's act was (and still is) an act of ultimate courage and unmatched sense of humanity.
Our request is justified, death was our daily bread and a million Iraqi mothers were expecting death to knock on their doors at any second to claim someone from their families.
Your face doesn't look strange to me at all; I see it everyday on endless numbers of Iraqi women who were struck by losses like yours.

Our fellow country men and women were buried alive, cut to pieces and thrown in acid pools and some were fed to the wild dogs while those who were lucky enough ran away to live like strangers and the Iraqi mother was left to grieve one son buried in an unfound grave and another one living far away who she might not get to see again.

We did nothing to deserve all that suffering, well except for a dream we had; a dream of living like normal people do.

Did Casey Sheehan die in vain? I don't think so- and if people could get over the argument about why we went to war in the first place, I think that would improve the debate. Regardless of your opinions on that matter, the simple fact is that we did go to war and American troops are needed in Iraq here and now. Arguing about WMDs does nothing to change that. The troops are there and that's what the debate should be about.

Chrenkoff has a good round up of comments from other mothers who have lost their children in the fighting in Iraq. Here's just one-

"George Bush didn't kill her son, it's the evildoers who have no value of life who killed her son. Her son made a decision to join the Armed Forces and defend our country, knowing that, at any time, war could come about," the mother of Marine Cpl. Marc T. Ryan said.

No comments: