Friday, April 04, 2008

Internet -Free Time

Tam mentions the joys of writing on a PC without the temptation of internet access. It's something I've been luxuriating in for the past few months. I blogged before about my Vista laptop not communicating with my XP-friendly wireless router- and one of the reasons I haven't gone out and replaced it so far is because I have been working each night for a few hours on the no-internet-laptop in the blissful quiet of a house with sleeping wife and children.

I'm a slow writer and I find it incredibly difficult to stay focused on it when there are distractions around me so sitting in bed, laptop on knee, headphones on is the perfect way to work. The only problem I've found so far is a tendency to keep going until about 3 a.m. or later.

I've probably written more in the past couple of months working like this than I have in the past year or so. As much as I love the internet and being able to have access to pretty much all the information you could want, it really is an incredible distraction. If I need to do research now, I do it during the day and not during writing time.

No comments: