Thursday, June 23, 2005

Land of the Dead

I've got to say that I'm a huge fan of zombie films- and that many of them are pretty dire. Something that doesn't often stop me watching them. In the genre there are few truly good films- among them are the Dawn of the Dead remake, Versus, Shaun of the Dead and the original Romero films Night and Dawn of the Dead. While Day of the Dead is ranked with the other two parts of the trilogy by fans, I'd have to argue that as a movie, it's not quite in the same class. Sure, it's got some really gross effects but the acting and dialogue aren't on the same level.

As such, my hopes for Romero's new Land of the Dead were not high. It's been many years since Romero ventured into the world of zombies and I guess I thought that he was past it. Well, according to the review on Retrocrush, I'm wrong- Land of the Dead gets a good write up and Romero's idea of the zombies evolving sounds like it has been handled well. Could be the genre is going to get another classic to add to the (short) list.

BTW, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost of Spaced and Shaun of the Dead fame get to appear as zombies in LOTD. It's pretty cool that they've gone from being fans of the Romero films to actually being in one.

No comments: