Thursday, June 30, 2005

Woody Allen

Woody Allen has stated that, "As a filmmaker, I'm not interested in 9/11 - it's too small, history overwhelms it. The history of the world is like: He kills me, I kill him, only with different cosmetics and different castings. So in 2001, some fanatics killed some Americans, and now some Americans are killing some Iraqis. And in my childhood, some Nazis killed Jews. And now, some Jewish people and some Palestinians are killing each other. Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral - not important. History is the same thing over and over again."

I don't know what to say about this- "it's too small"? And essentially saying that the Holocaust is not important? I'd expected better of this film-maker, particularly as he's famed for his love of New York- for him to dismiss the murder of 3,000 Americans like this is simply unbelievable. And the very concept that political questions are not important? I guess then that it doesn't matter to him that people fought and died for the freedoms he enjoys in America today, for the way of life that has allowed him to live in wealthy comfort in Manhattan? Frankly, I'm disgusted.

Here's a snippet from his IMDB bio page-

Made what was apparently his first and probably his last appearance at the Oscars in Hollywood in 2002 to make a plea for producers to continue filming their movies in New York, after the 9-11 tragedy.

I guess film-making is much more important than mere politics?

1 comment:

3Ply Stagliano said...

I can see why Woody Allen's words would make someone angry but I don't think he was talking about it from a personal emotive perspective but rather purely 'as a filmmaker' (as he states).

Sometimes I guess we wonder how someone can separate his or her emotions so completely from business but successful businessmen and women seem to be able to do so and Woody Allen is successful. Perhaps that's what he's doing? He's entitled to his own opinion, no matter how ludicrous it may seem to others.