Saturday, March 18, 2006

V For Vendetta

Excellent comics blog Photon Torpedoes has details of an interview with Alan Moore- the creator of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Watchmen, From Hell and V for Vendetta. The latter is just about to be released here in the UK.

Alan Moore has severed his ties with DC Comics, infuriated by the way his work has been mangled in its translation to the big screen. LXG, for example, bears very little similarity to the incredible work he created.

I had my qualms about seeing V for Vendetta, knowing that Hollywood would try to make it have something to say about the state of the world today- seems like I was right. This is what Moore had to say when he say the script;

"...This was one of the things I objected to in the recent film, where it seems to be, from the script that I read, sort of recasting it as current American neo-conservatism vs. current American liberalism. There wasn't a mention of anarchy as far as I could see. The fascism had been completely defanged. I mean, I think that any references to racial purity had been excised, whereas actually, fascists are quite big on racial purity."

It seems like Hollywood fails to understand that fascism is on the opposite side of the political spectrum from conservatism- or they just don't care.

No comments: