Saturday, October 09, 2004

Weekend Recharge

Yet again I’ve had a busy few days and haven’t had the time to blog. My sister-in-law is in hospital at the moment about to have a baby and it seems to have somehow thrown my routine out of whack- and all we’ve done is baby-sit her boy for a night. One of these days I’ll get organised. Maybe.

Good news is that British Telecom has finally upgraded my local telephone exchange so that it’s now broadband enabled. Now all I have to do is select a reliable ISP. My dial up connection (as well as being horribly slow) has been really bad lately. Sometimes it takes six or more attempts to connect. The only problem with broadband is that I’m going to have to buy myself a bigger hard drive to replace my 40Gb. I’ve seen a few 120Gb drives going for fairly respectable prices so that may fit the bill nicely. I had a hard drive die on me a while back and I lost a hell of a lot of stuff. I back up now and then, but I know that there are folders here and there that haven’t been copied onto disc yet. Going to have to streamline my system first, bin all the rubbish, and then fit the new hard drive and do a fresh Windows install. Try and keep the junk to a minimum.

People gripe about Microsoft all the time but since XP came out I’ve been a happy bunny- as far as I’m concerned it’s as stable as can be. Load up Mozilla to avoid all those nasty Explorer bugs and you’ve good a nice reliable system. It’ll be interesting to see what the next version of Windows is like- I’ll not be putting it on my PC for a while after it’s released. Early adopters never fair well.

I had another good day in the gym today- increases on all my exercises. I’m beginning to adapt pretty well to this too- I’m not feeling quite so knackered by the end of each session. Not that it’s getting any easier, but that’s the joy of weight training; every session is a challenge to be overcome.

Finally, this week coming I’m hoping to organise a few jaunts to the cinema- high on my list of must see movies is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I’m hoping that I’ll enjoy it despite the presence of Jude Law. Second is Resident Evil: Apocalypse. I have low expectations of this but it’s got zombies in it and so I’m compelled to go see it. Finally, there’s Man on Fire with Denzel Washington. I haven’t formed an opinion on this one, one way or the other, but it’ll always nice to see an action movie on the big screen. Also, it’s one my Dad might be interested in seeing so I’m going to try and talk him into going too. Reviews to follow…

No comments: