Sunday, August 26, 2007

FS2000

I've got to say that I like bullpup rifles, even though my experience of them is limited to the L85- which holds, I believe, the distinction of being the world's only non-ambidextrous bullpup design. I'm a southpaw and while I had no problems handling the weapon right-handed it was a huge pain to have to shoot with my dominant eye closed. Hopefully the re-designed HK L85A3 with its polymer body, ambi design (like the AUG which just needs some parts flipped around) and 6.5 Grendel chambering will be fielded soon...oh, if only that were true.

Anyway, I'm rather taken with the FN Fs2000, and it's a tad easier to imagine it being the next British weapon than my fabled -A3 variant. Though compact, and fully ambidextrous (the spent brass is ejected to the front of the weapon), it boasts a 17.5" barrel (there's also a 15.6" version) and overall length of only 29". The M4 by comparison has only a 14.5" barrel and overall length of 33" with the stock extended. The L85, by the way, boasts a 20" barrel and overall length of a mere 30". And it's a real tack-driver to boot. Well, all that leads to this- an example of the FS2000 from Collector's Firearms. Very nice indeed.

No comments: