Sunday, September 12, 2004

Sin City Pictures

I’m a big fan of the work of Frank Miller, particularly his interpretation of the Battle of Thermopylae, 300, and for his outstanding hard boiled noir series Sin City. When I heard that they were making a movie of Sin City I was less than enthralled by the prospect. However, my interest-meter is beginning to rise. First off, it’s being directed by Robert Rodriguez (of From Dusk Till Dawn and Desperado fame) and Frank Miller. Second, the cast is really starting to shape up- Jessica Alba, Benicio Del Toro, Michael Clarke Duncan, Josh Hartnett, Michael Madsen, Brittany Murphy, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke, Elijah Wood and Bruce Willis to name but a few. It’s sounding more and more interesting as time goes on. Then, yesterday, I came across these stills of Sin City here and here. Wow. One of the great things about the original graphic novels is the use of colour- stark black and white punctuated by brief flashes of colour- a red dress, that yellow bastard (also the name of one of the stories). I’m really hoping that this movie lives up to the original books. One thing that worries me is the combination of three books in one film. Maybe it’s too much. The leads, Marv, Dwight and Hartigan, each deserve a movie of their own but maybe this way will work too. Fingers crossed.

Now all we need is a movie of The Dark Knight Returns. If you haven’t already, go read some Frank Miller.

On a vaguely related note- I see that they’re doing a remake of John Carpenter’s Assault on Precinct 13. I’m sure that this is a film which doesn’t need to be made but I said that about Dawn of the Dead too and the remake is a fabulous piece of film. Mmm, have to see how this one pans out.

One last bit of movie news, thanks to MadOgre- Kurt Wimmer, who made the excellent Equilibrium, is back with another movie- Ultraviolet. One to watch out for! Also, check out Ogre’s review of Resident Evil 2. Worth reading!

Shaky camera work might have been cool once but it’s definitely over used now and frightfully irritating- I’ll be going to see this even if it is a stinker, I’m a big, big fan of zombie movies (and let’s face it, most of them are stinkers).

No comments: