Wednesday, July 27, 2005

London Shooting

As I've been taking a break from all things internet I haven't really been following the news but the one incident which really got me thinking was the shooting of the Brazilian civilian by an armed London police unit. Perhaps more on this story has emerged in the meantime but it seems that he was confronted by the cops and he ran, racing into a Tube station, down stairs, jumped over a turnstile and then into a train- where he was shot.

Why didn't he simply stop? Well, that's what has puzzled me but perhaps there could be a (major) clue over at Tim Worstall's-

I’ve been able to talk to a few Brazilians here about this shooting. All of them say that one’s immediate reaction upon being stopped by armed police (whether in uniform or plain clothes) should be to run. Yes, they might be legitimately asking you to stop but that isn’t the way to bet with the Brazilian police.

If only he'd realised that we do things differently here he might still be alive. And yeah, given the circumstances (and the information I have) it looks like the police reacted in the correct way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When in Rome.......Sorry but there are very few Brazilian Bobbies in London. When I travel into interior Mexico, I know it is their turf and their rules. The Bill of Rights won't save you arse south of the border.

BTW, new url

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing neither of you have ever BEEN to Stockwell tube?
I have had a few friends living down that way for nigh on 15 years and pretty much every time i visit i'm always on my guard every time i enter or leave that station. Don't get me wrong i actually like the area, it's just that there has aways been 'something' about that tube station's ergomonics. So given my knowledge of the station, YES i'd have run if i saw a bunch of geezers (armed or otherwise) coming towards me.