Sunday, October 14, 2007

Kim's Favourite 100

Kim du Toit has his latest thought exercise up- pick your top 100 firearms to own. One hundred thought I, surely not! I've simple tastes, I won't be able to pick that many that I would genuinely want to own. Pah! Having started a list I'm thinking that perhaps a better limit would be 150 or 200 maybe. Blast the UK's absurd gun laws.

Mr. du Toit's selection is of course well rounded- many more rimfires than I would personally opt for, but that's balanced out by my yearning for a collection of 1911 pistols whereas he chooses only one- and it was interesting to see the many places where he chose as I would. A Winchester 1895 in .405 Win? Absolutely. I will of course post my own selection when I get it finished. I'm hoping some other gun bloggers follow suit.

One thing I have noticed is that I get older my preferences for firearms are becoming decidedly archaic. Sure I'd like a FN F2000, but to be perfectly honest if the choice was between that and a Martini-Henry, I'd go for the latter. At this rate, by the time I'm 50 I've be spurning the latest rail guns in favour of bronze swords.

No comments: