Saturday, October 20, 2007

Rambo

Here's the poster for the new Rambo flick. Apparently the name's being changed from just John Rambo to Rambo IV: To Hell and Back. Personally I prefer the former.

The first images of the much anticipated (by me) new knife for the film are also up over at Gil Hibben's website. I wasn't too impressed by the Hibben Rambo III knife- not compared to the Lile knives of the first and second film- but this new, primitive knife is growing on me. When I first saw it I was distinctly underwhelmed but I'm liking it more and more. It's big and crude, fashioned by Rambo himself in the movie and i think Hibben, better known for outlandishly elaborate designs, has nailed it. He's making a limited run of blades in D2 steel- for the princely sum of $1250- which I'm sure will be snapped up by collectors. The blade is 12" long and a 1/4" thick. No doubt there will be more affordable display items available soon (in low quality 420 steel).

Will it occur to anyone that a mid-range knife made from good steel but priced more reasonably might be a good seller? I know I'd lay down maybe one or two hundred bucks for a good Rambo replica like that- Ontario make an 1o" machete with quarter inch thick 1095 blade (SP8) that you can buy for about $60 or less so obviously it's do-able. Chances are though that we'll never see such a sensible item. The powers that be obviously think that consumers either want cheap and nasty knock-offs or outrageously priced custom numbers- and knife collectors unwilling to spend so much on a single item will go and buy themselves five or six great quality knives by other knife-makers and give them their twelve hundred dollars instead.

1 comment:

Rambo machete fan said...

That is a super expensive blade... but worth it!