Saturday, November 27, 2004

Silent Ammo

Just a quickie for the time being- Modern Firearms is one of those invaluable sites that I visit fairly infrequently. Just been there and two pages spring out for me. The first concerns silent ammunition developed by the Soviet Union, something which I’d heard of before but never seen. There’s a pretty low quality image of the ammo on World Guns. Basically it works by the ingenious method of using a piston to drive the bullet from the case, rather than the gases. According to the site the ammo (which is obviously also sub-sonic) is totally silent. No need for a cumbersome suppressor tacked onto the end of the barrel.

I’m intrigued to find out more about this- surely if it was that effective then we’d be seeing it used in the West? I’m guessing that it’s incredibly expensive to manufacture but I’d bet there’s market for totally silent ammo amongst Special Forces types. Or even SWAT-type units. How about an MP5 running on this for house clearing/hostage rescue? Anyone heard any more on this type of ammo?

The second page that caught my eye was this one on the Russian PP-2000 (the page concerning the ammo it fires can be found here- again, I’d be interested to hear more about the armour piercing claims of this 9mm). The PP-2000 is another of the PDW-type weapons which seem to be gaining in popularity, at least amongst weapons manufacturers. This is one of the most compact guns I’ve seen and the special +P+ armour piercing ammo sounds interesting. More info please! Love to read a review of this thing, see what the accuracy/controllability is like. Seems to be some interesting firearms activity in the East at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Traditionally, "magic bullets" come along from time to time. The silent bullets (both the ones with the push pin and the subsonic ones) sound too good to be true, but you have piqued my interest, so I'll look for more info.

I would think there would still be some noise with the push pin bullets, necessitating the use of a silencer to be close to completely silent.

Subsonic bullets are all the rage (SSK pushes them), and near magical properties have been ascribed to them. But the rules of physics cannot be broken. Subsonic speeds negatively impact range, trajectory, and accuracy. The need for silence has to outweigh the negatives.

Personally, not needing silence, I think of the maximum effective range of a round (that in which the trajectory never exceeds +3 inches above nor -3 inches below the center line) as WITHIN the supersonic range. Once most bullets start transitioning to subsonic, their flight becomes almost unstable, and bigger wind drift corrections are required, if for no other reason than that they are in the air longer on the way to the target.

I'll have to see a 9mm piercing a helmet at the range they say to believe it. Bet it wasn't a Kevlar helmet.

I feel the need ... the need for SPEED! I like at least 1K fps out of a pistol and 3K fps out of a rifle.

BTW, I've heard the zing of a bullet passing nearby my head, even when I didn't hear the rifle fire. It's a distinctive and alarming sound. The correct reaction is to drop immediately and crawl to cover rapidly.