Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Clicking of Doom

For most of this year I've been using a Toshiba laptop as my primary machine, with my vintage PIII desktop relegated to the spare room. The laptop's less than a year old but this evening as I was using it to watch a DVD the hard drive started clicking and the machine locked up. As is always the case it's been a little while since I last backed up my data- and, like a trusting fool, the last few saves were performed by copying info from one half of the partitioned drive to the other. Now both are lost.

I could kick myself but I was preparing for a Windows/software problem not for a nearly new hard drive to up and die on me. I guess I could always try freezing it...

Anyway, I've moved back to the desktop for the time being while I look up a replacement hard drive for the laptop- and a reliable external drive for back-ups. Then I need to figure out a handy way to back up folders, bookmarks, etc on a daily basis.

If you haven't done so already today, back up your data!

No comments: