Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bark River Aurora

I've been learning a little more about knives lately and have added a few pieces to my meagre and amateurish collection. I have a few more professional items on my list of "must haves" which I'm hoping to purchase shortly. One of these is the Bark River Aurora.

It's billed as a bushcraft knife, a fairly straight-forward looking design but one that could manage most of the activities required outdoors, whether camping or a "lost in the wilderness" situation. Unlike the Tom Brown Tracker or the more famous Rambo knives, the Aurora has very simple but rather elegant lines. It's interesting to note the various designs around for a survival or bushcraft knife: Ray Mears has one, Lofty Wiseman (author of The SAS Survival Manual), the aforementioned Tom Brown, the Jimmy Lile-designed Rambo knife (perfected in the one-piece Chris Reeve line), even Bear Grylls has a knife out now.

Anyway, here's an example of the Aurora fitted out with the black elm grips. A thing of beauty.

3 comments:

prairiebuzz said...

www.bushcraftnorthwest.com

check this new Bushcraft knife out at this site.
well thought out and nice looking Bamboo handled O1 tool steel blade
bushcrafter.
contact info:
Mike Lummio
ph. no. (360) 606-1036
dr. buzz

lowly said...

Did you ever get the Aurora, or any other Bark River? If so, how'd you like it/them?

Jay.Mac said...

I'm sorry to say that I still haven't got my hands on an Aurora yet.

There are so many blades out there that I'd like to get but I haven't been collecting too much lately.