Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Keep It Simple Stupid

They military have a saying- no plan survives contact with the enemy. Well, you can add children to that too. I had intended to get a 5000m row in today but my eldest girl, 2 years old, decided to wake me at 3:15- about half an hour after I’d got my three month old to sleep and had put my own head down. From then on until 7:00 I was woken even fifteen minutes or so as she did everything she could to stay awake- and keep me awake too. Finally, after she started singing “Happy Birthday” I gave in and we got up. By 9:00 she was sleeping again- I stayed up for another few hours but I was too wrecked to continue and went back to bed until the afternoon when I had to get up again and run a few errands. So, no exercise today. Damn, I hate when that happens. Back when I was training to join to Marines I had a strict routine and I exercised twice a day, five days a week. Now, it’s a struggle trying to get in three workouts a week. Times certainly have changed. I’m going to have to work really hard tomorrow to make up for it. My new plan- train really hard tomorrow and Friday, weekend off and then back to Mon-Wed-Fri workouts next week. Sounds simple, doesn’t it?

After my 7,000m row on Saturday my metabolism has gone through the roof and I feel hungry all the time- it’s a struggle trying not to eat, and to eat healthily when I do. Everything that seems quick and easy to prepare is invariably full of fat. So far though, I’m doing okay and part of it is down to Maximuscle’s Max-Meal bars- they are low in fat and carbs, high in protein and quite tasty. An ideal “filler upper” between meals. The Max Meal drink is pretty good too (in chocolate anyway) but the bars are super handy. My other half has been forced to carry a few of these in her handbag for my hunger emergencies. If it weren’t for these I’d be eating goodness knows what. When we go grocery shopping I used to end up grabbing a blueberry muffin to keep me going until we get home for dinner- while research is now showing blueberries are good for you, I’m sure that muffins aren’t included.


Anyway, I had hoped to get a run into town to hit the gym for a weights session but as it’s hard enough getting upstairs to my rower, that may be put on hold for a while. At least I’m getting to the cinema tomorrow night- babysitter is lined up and now all I have to do is decide what I want to see- The Village, The Bourne Supremacy or I, Robot. I’d like to see the Bourne movie but I’ll probably end up going to The Village, and then take my Dad to see Bourne some other time. It’s been ages since I went to the cinema and I’m hoping the movie lives up to my expectations. Even if it sucks, it’ll be nice to have a night out with the Missus.

No comments: