Saturday, June 14, 2008

Welsh Israel Boycott

This is a curious one- Wales' only Muslim AM has set up a meeting with the Israeli Ambassador and he invited his Welsh colleagues to attend too. He said,

"The biggest flashpoint in the world at the moment is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, so we must understand both sides of the facts.

"I know quite a lot from the Palestinian side, but I haven't been able to speak with any Israeli till today, so in my fortunate position I thought this was the best opportunity for me to invite him.

"That was the whole idea, to bring him over, and listen to his views.

"I don't want to put my head in the sand, and I appreciate everybody's feelings, and being Muslim, probably everyone knows my feelings, but I am a human being, and a peaceful human being."

Good for him. However- and this is where it becomes curious- one of his fellow Welsh AMs has decided to boycott the meeting-

"I am unwilling to accept the invitation to meet the ambassador because of my objection to the failure of the state of Israel to meet its international obligations to the Palestinian people of the Holy Lands. I would invite other colleagues to do the same."

He fails to mention any obligation of the Palestinians to stop murdering innocent Israeli citizens of course.

No comments: