Tuesday, April 04, 2006

9/11 In The News

An unusual number of stories linked to 9/11 today.

The USN's amphibious assault ship the USS New York has been made using steel from the fallen World Trade Centre. When launched it will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 US Marines.

A group of airline pilots are cycling across the United States in an effort to raise money for memorials at the three crash sites and also to honour the flight crews that were killed that day.

A statue of 9/11 hero Rick Rescorla was unveiled at fort Benning. The Vietnam vet saved hundreds of lives as he led others to safety- and was last see returning to try and lead more people out. Mudville Gazette has more on Rescorla. It's well worth reading it all- he deserves it.


Finally there's the movie United 93 about the plane that was brought down in Pennsylvania by the heroic actions of the passengers on board. There have apparently been complaints about the "timing" of the film. A quick blogger search turns up a good piece on this by Dr Sanity.

I don't care how painful it is to face the truth. I won't go back and pretend that 9/11 didn't happen and that my beloved country, which I love with my whole heart and soul, was not viciously and deliberately attacked by people whose greatest dream is its destruction.

If some can't cope with the truth after 5 years, then truth--and reality--is beyond them.

I intend to go see this movie; and I will deal as best I can with the pain, turmoil and raw emotions of that day. I owe it to all those who died. I owe it to myself. And, I owe it to my country.


Personally, watching that trailer brought back all the memories of 9/11 that I have- very vividly. It is definitely worth watching.

No comments: