Saturday, July 29, 2006

Pesh-Kabz

I just bought myself a new pocket knife, picking up a real bargain from eBay. It's a Columbia River Knife and Tool Nealy Pesh-Kabz folder. It's a lovely little item- the Zytel grips feel superb in the hand and the knife itself fills the palm really well. It also features CRKT's LAWKS system- an extra safety catch to ensure that the blade stays open no matter what punishment is beign inflicted on the locking mechanism. I'm not sure if it's essential for my own use, but it is comforting to know that it's there to stop the knife accidentally closing on my fingers.

The interesting thing about the knife is the blade grind- the section of blade at the tip is full thickness; you can see this a little in the photo but it doesn't really give the full impression. The idea behind the grind is to provide the knife with full strength for piercing/stabbing. It's apparently an old Persian design, originally intended for defeating chain mail. On the flip side of the handle is a curvy clip; again this is credited as being a Persian design but it looks a little more Art Deco to my uneducated eye.

In any event it's a solid little knife which stands out a bit from the crowd. And as it doesn't appear to be on CRKT's website any more it may be discontinued. If that's the case, I'd recommend picking one of these up before they're all gone.

No comments: