Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Firefox 2.0

After all the hype Firefox 2.0 is finally here- and I've got to say that I'm a little underwhelmed. It's a little different cosmetically and it has a few features which so far I've found to be useful additions but somehow I was expecting more. Oh well, always version 3.0 to look forward to.

Apart from the slightly different look the major benefits to the new version (for me anyway) are a neat spell-checker (look for a few less typos here), buttons on the tabs to shut them down, the ability to re-launch Firefox with all the tabs from your last session in place (huzzah), and a History option for recently closed tabs- I really like that because I'm always closing sites down and then realising a few minutes later that there was something else there I wanted to read. One thing that I haven't quite gotten used to yet is the way that lots of open tabs are treated- before they just got smaller and smaller and eventually disappeared off the right hand side of the browser- now they only get a little bit smaller and there are some handy little arrows on each side of the tab bar so that you can zoom left and right along the row of tabs. It's a great idea but it seems so odd on the screen.

Actually, now that I see all the features I like perhaps this new version is more appealing than I first thought. I've read a few comparisons with IE7 and the two browsers seem to be about neck and neck now- it'll take an awful lot for me to want to go back to IE again.

1 comment:

3Ply Stagliano said...

I would say it's hard to grumble. Firefox is worth the asking price.