Friday, October 03, 2008

Post Pre-Debate Comments

Well, it seems as if Palin is back if the reaction of Michelle Malkin is anything to go by. Though the debate aired last night in the US, here in the UK it will be broadcast this evening. I could watch on-line of course but my wife (who is quietly tolerant of my politics obsession) loves to watch these things. Maybe even more than me. So I'll be holding off seeing it for a few hours yet.

In the meantime one of the things that really grabbed me was Ace's list of Biden's 14 lies. Hard to believe that in this day and age of nearly instant fact-checking that a politician feels comfortable to go on national TV and just outright lie to voters. Will the mainstream media do their job and correct the record? I'm not holding my breath.

Over at The Corner Jonah Goldberg elaborates on this point-

It’s amazing how the impulse to see Biden as the more qualified and serious guy stems almost entirely from his ability to be a convincing b.s. artist... When Biden spews up a warm fog of deceitful gassbaggery the response seems to be “what a great grasp of the issues he has!”

It really is incredible. During the McCain-Obama debate when they were disputing the points each other were making I proclaimed that it would be a good idea to install a video screen behind them, split down the middle. Then, their people could each deliver on-screen evidence of the disputed points. A TV version of hyperlinks if you will. Obviously there would have to be certain rules about which material was allowed but even if it was a record of a vote for a certain bill or a quote from the candidate, I'm sure it would go a long way to reducing the amount of- let's be plain here- lies that politicians tell to the voters.

No comments: