Monday, August 01, 2005

The Hotel Workout

While I was off last week I didn't exactly do myself any favours- eating lots of pizza, drinking much more than usual and not doing very much exercise at all- apart from trudging round shops if you can count that. Anyway, now that I'm back I thought I'd share a little body weight only routine I came up with. Hits all the major muscle groups and you can do as much or as little as your schedule allows- doing the sets spread throughout the day for example.

1. Squat- without any weight of course but with arms held out in front of you for balance and sinking right down onto your haunches. Ease into this one to protect your knees and watch your balance. For a little variety throw in some squats with feet close together or further apart (sumo squat)- but I usually only take these to thighs parallel to ground to save my knees.

2. Press Ups- I do a variety- arms wide apart, shoulder width apart with elbows tucked in tight to your sides, feet up on the bed/chair and finally the "triceps press up"- place your hands on the floor right beneath your sternum with your thumbs and forefingers making a triangle. With your elbows cocked out to the side (this can be pretty hard on your joints if you're not used to it) and your feet spread apart a little for balance press down until your hands touch your chest. Hard work.

3. Deadlift- Stand with feet shoulder width apart, hands by sides. Lift one foot and hold it behind your ankle. Lean forward until your body is about parallel with the floor and then straighten up. You should feel this after a feel reps in the backs of your thighs if you're doing it right.

4. Dips- hands on the edge of bed or sturdy chair, feet lifted up too if room permits. Lower and raise until arms/shoulders begin to burn.

5. Crunches and Reverse Crunches

All body weight exercises and all very simple to do but it's good to either maintain fitness or else as a work-out on its own, depending on the intensity you put into it. As always, consult your doctor before beginning to exercise and use correct form to avoid injury. If you're not sure about the proper form let me know and I'll see if I can't put together a better description.

No comments: