Friday, February 23, 2007

Guns In Doctor Who

This is quite probably of no interest to anyone but me- I'm watching the old Jon Pertwee run of Doctor Who and in the story Colony in Space, I was astonished to see the colonists armed with Johnson M1941 rifles! I know that very few were made so I'm surprised to see them turn up in the BBC prop department. I'm pretty sure I've never seen this weapon in a TV show or movie before. Not only do we get a little bit of shooting but there's a glimpse of one of the colonists topping up the rotary magazine. The furniture on the weapons is very dark- it almost looks like a synthetic black stock. I wonder if the Beeb still has them- and if they know they're worth about $6000 each?

On a related note, the Pertwee story Inferno also had a rare gun cameo- this time the SKS. The story puts the Doctor in an alternate reality and the good guy Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart of UNIT is now the eye-patch wearing Brigade Leader, part of a fascist regime that has taken over Britain. I liked that UNIT's SLR (FN FAL) was replaced by the commie rifle for the story. A nice touch.

No comments: