Friday, June 16, 2006

Racism

Okay, here's the story. Frederic Rouzaud, managing director of Cristal champagne, was doing an interview with The Economist. He was asked about the affection that certain rappers have for his brand of tipple. He replied that he viewed it with "curiosity and serenity". The interviewer continued, asking if the association for his refined and expensive item and the "bling lifestyle" could be detrimental to the brand. This was his reply-

"That's a good question, but what can we do? We can't forbid people from buying it. I'm sure Dom Perignon or Krug would be delighted to have their business."

Immedaitely rapper and Jay Z sprang into action, pulling Cristal champagne from his clubs and his own private stock. Overly sensitive, you might say? Well, wait until you hear exactly why he pulled the brand-

"I view his comments as racist and will no longer support any of his products through any of my various brands including The 40/40 Club nor in my personal life."

Racist? Come on, the only racism being displayed here is surely by Jay Z: he's implicitly stating that to be a rapper you have to be black. I'm immediately going to boycott his products and, if I had any, I'd take them out my own personal CD collection!

I guess it must be a slow news day at CNN- this took up a whole page in their entertainment section. What, they couldn't have donated that space to the important news that Billie Piper is leaving Doctor Who at the end of the season?

No comments: