Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Mufti shows his true colours

On the one hand we have groups like Free Muslims Against Terrorism, but on the other we have the Mufti of Australia proclaiming his support for the jihad in Iraq; "we value your jihad and your efforts." Now, he has called for the terrorists to release Australian hostage Douglas Wood but to do so in the same breath that he shows his support for their "holy war" is unbelievable.

I can't in all honesty say what I would do if it were a member of my family being held hostage by terrorists but I know that I'd be furious about "support" like this. And I'd want nothing to do with it. Of course, the President of the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils, who was present when the utterance was made, explained that the term jihad is, of course, misunderstood- they're only fighting a war of self-defence don't you know. He doesn't explain how blowing up Iraqis and assassinating democratically elected officials helps "free the country from foreign occupation".

No comments: