Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring has sprung

Apparently today is the first day of spring- you wouldn't know it from looking out the window here though. It's cold, wet and windy.

A couple of days ago, though, now that was a spring day. Blue skies, the shining sun, a comfortable temperature. And it proved to me that my back pain is more affected by the weather than I had suspected until now.

This winter has been pretty hard on me and, especially since Christmas, I've been in a fair bit of pain. On the one nice day we've had I woke up and wasn't in my usual stiff-sore state. The day passed and I was able to do some housework, play a bit more with the kids and even drive a few miles without feeling like an elephant had trodden on my spine. Mundane stuff to be sure but I was a heck of a lot more active than the past few months have allowed.

To be honest, I didn't really notice it until the evening - like clockwork at around 7 p.m. I'm usually in a pretty bad way. But not that day- in fact, I was able to make it through an entire evening without taking my pain meds. The first time in I don't know how long.

I suspect that last year's lousy, wet summer followed by the autumn/winter months that I can't stand is what has contributed to me being so bad at the moment. This year I'd better get at least a couple of months of decent hot, dry weather to give me a bit of a respite. I wouldn't mind the dreary pain of winter if I were able to have one or two months of heat and a chance to feel like a regular person- and grab my kettlebell for a few work-outs while I'm at it.

Global warming? Bring it on.

No comments: