Sunday, May 01, 2005

Schoolkid Group Sex?

I thought that the story about a group of schoolkids, aged 12-17, making a sex video was bad enough, but this made my jaw hit the ground. According to school nurses in England (and usually when people over here hear a story like this they mutter to themselves, "only in America"- not this time) teenagers are taking part in group sex "swinger" sessions. The practice seems to involve older teenagers (I guess this means 16-18 but the article doesn't specify that) going to someone's house and then having sex with multiple partners. I don't even know of any adults doing that.

One of the most worrying things about this is the nature of coercion involved, with some teenagers feeling compelled to provide sexual favours as a result of some sort of gang culture. When I was a kid our parents worried about peer pressure making us smoke or drink- I don't think group sex even crossed their minds as a possibility. The article goes on to mention kids prostituting themselves for money. That sounds like something that might happen in some deprived inner city area but I heard that a fourteen year old girl from the village where I live was doing just that, for the ridiculous amount of fifty pence (that's about 95 US cents).

What is the world coming to? I think my kids just got grounded until they're thirty. Just to be safe.

No comments: